Massage Therapist Training Massachusetts
Massage Therapist Requirements in Massachusetts
In order to become a licensed massage therapist in the State of Massachusetts, you must:
- Be a United States citizen or resident alien
- Be at least 18 years old
- Provide a Social Security Number
- Have a high school diploma or its equivalent
- Complete a 650-hour massage therapist training course including:
1. 100 hours of anatomy and physiology;
2. 45 hours of pathology;
3. 45 hours of kinesiology;
4. 300 hours of massage theory and technique;
5. 60 hours of ethics and professionalism; and
6. 100 hours of unpaid and supervised clinical or internship experience.
After you complete a 650-hour training program, you then can fill out an application to become a therapist. You must mail in the application to the Massachusetts Board of Registration of Massage Therapy, along with a check or money order for $225. The form can be found here.
In addition, original transcripts from the massage therapy school where training was completed must be sent directly to the Massachusetts Board of Registration of Massage Therapy.
The application should also include:
- Two letters of reference;
- Proof of $1,000,000 of professional liability insurance; and
- A passport photo.
Finally, your signature on the application and checklist pages must be notarized. This can result in a small fee. We suggest you contact your bank regarding their price for this service. Note that many credit unions provide this service for free to their members.
At this time, the Massachusetts Board of Registration of Massage Therapy does not require continuing education to complete recertification. However, you must still renew your certification and pay a fee every year.
Massachusetts Massage Therapist Salary
This training is most valuable if it translates into earnings. For specific data on massage therapist’s salary in Massachusetts click here. We’ve extracted information from labor surveys to give you local data specific to salary expectatations for massage therapists in Massachusetts.